Tuesday, October 23, 2012

backward or forward facing

Ella is coming up on her 1st birthday.. ummm wow... that is just insane.  With this milestone comes a big decision, well to me it is a big decision..........

Should I keep the car seat facing backward or turn it forward???

The Law : children must be in backward facing car sears until they are 20lbs or over AND 1 year old...

Ella is almost 22lbs so we are good there and as of Nov. 29 she will be 1... so legally I can change it.

AAP and NHTSA : both state that children should stay backward facing until 2 years old.. not a law but a recommendation...

ugh!  What to do.  I keep going back and forth....... Ella would LOVE to face forward and the car seat would be much easier to switch vehicles.. well to attach it that is... but what if something happens and she gets hurt and she wouldn't have if she wasn't facing forward.

This is just too confusing and I don't like it!  My whole family and my husbands think it would be fine to change it and part of me does too.  But I want to make sure she is as safe as I can get her.. at least in the car.

My thought at the moment is to leave her car seat facing backward while it is in my car.  We are already planning to buy a 2nd car seat as a spare/emergency use.. so it wouldn't stay in one particular vehicle.  So put that one forward when needed.

Since I drive her 95% of the time then she would be backward facing most of the time.. but then when she does go in a different vehicle then will she be angry that I won't let her sit that way in my car?

ooh this just sounds more confusing as I type it.. well hopefully this makes sense to those who read it.. if it doesn't then you have a well earned insight to how my head thinks.......

happy tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment